Monday, September 11, 2006


Eiderdowns;
Eye Candy for Lovers of Vintage!

Although I love all things vintage, I have a real passion for textiles and for me, the eiderdown has to be the ultimate ’must-have’ of vintage textiles. Not only are they beautiful to look at - but they’re useful too!
Bundles & layers!

I have quite a few I've lost count!) some are in use on the beds, some are rolled and folded, displayed on top of the wardrobes and tucked inside my armoire. Perhaps I shouldn’t mention the ones under the bed and in the wardrobes and in the linen cupboard and…! I’d better stop there, anyone would think I was obsessed, but I can’t help it - I love them!
My oldest dates to the 1920’s, it’s made from silk and filled with light fluffy down. It has the prettiest pattern of delicate lily of the valley and sugary pink blossom. Then there’s the largest one I’ve ever seen; over 8 feet square and covered in a rich red and green paisley and roses pattern!
Shown here are just a few of my collection (there‘s also a couple of quilts in the photos, did I say that’s another passion of mine?!!)

What’s your particular ‘vintage passion’?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Clare, You know I share your passion for eiderdowns.....are those some I haven't seen before?...now own up...how many do you really have?!!!!!
    Niki.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything with roses on, especially dishes, cups, tea and coffee pots and pictures and I love your rose eiderdowns, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and enamel ware!

    you can see some of it in an old posting of mine here:

    http://carolsgarden.blogspot.com/2005_10_01_carolsgarden_archive.html

    Have a look at october 19th 2005 for some of my old rose dishes and on the october 21st 2005 post you can see some of my old enamel ware in my kitchen, if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait now, Im catching my breath....I do love textiles...and I must say that I am a lover of all things vintage...with of course, my favs...white ironstone, preferrably English Meakin...and now a penchant for white enamel...old, old, baskets, old, old iron...platters in brown transfer...I'm in trouble...I have a gene in my body for dishes and linens...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that armoire! Nice that you really can see all the beautiful fabrics through the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Everyone, thanks for the comments - look forward to seeing your Blog, Nonnie! Yes, it's nice to see the fabrics - it's a pity so many of the others are hidden away! Perhaps I need several armoires!

    ReplyDelete