Sunday, July 20, 2008

Flying the Flag!


We're pretty patriotic here at Vintage Home and are proud to fly the Union Jack! (Apparently, I am informed that it is only called the Union Jack when flown at sea, when flown on land, it should be referred to as the Union Flag!) But I digress! I think it's a wonderful design and you will have seen some interesting versions of it this season, both on the fashion scene and in the world of home furnishing! We have been playing around with some bag and cushion designs and thought we'd share them with you. Here is a super-size shopper, it's proved very useful for trips to flea markets and antique fairs! It has some lovely detail in it and is made from several vintage fabrics - and not just English textiles...!


This gorgeous old 1940s fabric with pretty blue poppies and yellow foxgloves against a stunning red background is French!

It has been lined with the same pretty English barkcloth we used for the windows in the clock house, and there are a couple of handy pockets for those essential bits and pieces.

I added this pretty pansy brooch as a finishing touch and I'm keeping a look out for some more colourful old brooches - this is such a bright and cheerful bag so I think it will become a firm favourite!

This is our cushion version of the Union Jack.


This is made from some really lovely old fabrics and crochet trim. It was a new addition to the website but has now been sold, although we may be adding a new design soon!

Before I go, I must thank Sairer, who very kindly named me as one of the 'Five Blogs that make her Day!'

My apologies for the delay in responding Sairer, I am really chuffed to have received the award! I would also like to thank every one for the amazing response to our recent website updates; we are busy preparing our latest goodies for the shop so I think I had better get back to work - have a wonderful week!

12 comments:

  1. What lovely flag items. They are so cute and your fabrics so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I already said this but I think those are the best Union jack items I have seen. Keep up the excellent work! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the combination of colours on the fabrics for the union jack bag. Original, vintage looking and fresh. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore them! What a fantastic idea. Kudos on your creativity.
    smiles
    DarLy*~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that bag, bet they become best sellers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eek! I am LOVING your bag!!

    So jealous...I wish I had my bag making skills down. I'm still working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bag is awesome! You are talented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that bag is gorgeous. Amazing design... and I am glad to know that historical/technical tidbit about calling it the Union Jack vs. the Union Flag. I ALWAYS love coming to your blog because my eyes get to feast on such loveliness here!

    Blessings,
    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to buy your Union Jack Bag---how do I order one?
    I love your web site and all the beautiful pictures and information.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really is a beautiful bag, it's delicious!
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have such and incredible eye for coordinating fabrics. It's takes me forever to make a decision on fabric selections. Your bags are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The fabrics are lovely together. Very pretty bag!

    ReplyDelete